Thursday, July 3, 2014

Kid Craft Subscription Boxes-- Kiwi Crate and Happy Trunk

In my subscription box fervor, I signed the kids up for craft kits.  J and C (both age 7) are receiving Kiwi Crate and E (age 10) gets Happy Trunk.  
I'll start with Kiwi Crate….

Kiwi Crate is a craft kit for kids ages 3-8 that contains instructions and supplies for several themed crafts.  You can order it as a subscription or just one box.  One thing I really like about Kiwi Crate is that there is a sibling option where you pay a bit more and receive enough supplies for two kids.  I signed up for the sibling add-on so in the photos below you will see double most of the supplies.
We received this box in April and the theme, appropriately, was Caring for the Earth.  There was a paper making kit, leaf stamped bags, and a few other smaller coloring-type activities that were a bit young for my  kids.

The supplies for paper making (x2)
The supplies for stamped bags (x2)
The paper-making in action.

These projects were somewhat simple for J and C since they are on the older side for this kit, but I really liked the fact that they could do these projects fairly independently.  They had fun and really looked forward to receiving their next Crate.

On to E's Happy Trunk...

Not as cutesy as Kiwi Crate, but nice instruction cards and secure packaging.
Happy Trunk is a subscription box for kids of two different age groups--3-7 and 8-11.  I ordered E, who is 10, the kit for older kids.  This box contained a memo board craft and a DNA science project.  From what I read, the older kid boxes usually contain a science project and a craft.






E did the memo board on her own.  She mixed up the chalkboard paint and added the stencils to the cork board portion.  I love when kids can do these projects independently!
For the science part of the kit, we started making a DNA model out of pipe cleaners and beads.  This was a frustrating endeavor for both E and me.  The instructions weren't very clear and there weren't enough of certain colored beads so we couldn't make a long enough "ladder" to get it the helix to twist.    Neither of us felt bad about abandoning this.
E extracted DNA from a strawberry with a babysitter, so I don't have photos or feedback of this part of the kit, but I can tell you that she ended up with a tube of what looked like DNA to me :)   She says this was pretty fun and she doesn't want to throw the tube away so I would call that a success.


 We have since received two more Kiwi Crates that we are slowly working our way through.  Although the crafts are simple for J and C, they really enjoy them so we will keep this subscription going for a while.  If you are thinking of ordering a Crate, let me know because I have code where you get $10 off and so do I!
As for Happy Trunk…well, we didn't receive our May box so I emailed them and they said they'd send one right out.  The May Happy Trunk we received contained several simple crafts that E really enjoyed.  However, when we didn't get our June box I emailed again and received a reply stating that the May crate they sent us was for younger kids but they would get everything straightened out.  I hope they do because I really like the idea of Happy Trunk!





No comments:

Post a Comment